Wednesday, October 29, 2014

In what ways have you grown as a professional while taking this course? How can you use the knowledge gained to increase your leadership within the corporation?

I think the biggest thing that hit me was more authentic assessments.  It can be so easy to get wrapped up in the necessities of lessons and textbooks that you forget about the true classroom meaning: to teach kids to survive in this world. For example, earlier this school year we discussed argumentative letters in business format.  My goal was for the students to write a letter about an article we had read.  The assignment fell to the side as other things seemed more important.  Maybe that letter is more important than inferences and reading. Maybe expressing their ideas is more important.

I am new to my corporation so I'm not a leader here.  I've seen a few projects that have been assigned.  Leaf collections, posters, relationship trees, storyline posters etc.  I always think how could we do that digitally.  Kids are trying to cram posters and leaf collections into their lockers.  There must be an easier way. They could create the posters on piktochart.  They could create on relationship tree on a mindmapping website.  The leaf collections could be Prezi presentations or videos of them in a park.

I think my way of thinking is changing which I think was the point of this course.  Start thinking digitally and three dimensionally.  See technology in a different light.  Your classroom in a different light.  See these students as technology masterminds that need to be turned lose.  What will they create?

No comments:

Post a Comment